Saturday 23 July 2016

It is silly - but I can't hep - I like "People Watching" :)

Abraham Lincoln said “Human Action can be modified to some extent, but Human nature cannot be changed”. I see this saying fitting perfectly especially when I am travelling. I am not an avid traveler but work and home visit make up for a few trips in the year. I have to say - for so many years there are things that I have noticed and they stay exactly the same irrespective of the country, city, airlines………...just minor differences here and there which might be the human action but the over arching characteristics remain just the same, that must be the human nature.

The Security Check:
There is never dearth of women who cannot give up on their fashion quotient even when traveling and are dressed too prim and proper that it causes discomfort to others who watch the woman managing her accessories. Blow dried hair let down, a small clutch purse, a big hand bag, a carry in luggage, 2 phones – personal and professional, ipod, and tons of junk jewellery is too much to manage when you are struggling to take out your laptop and put it on the tray. While hurrying to the lady police for the security check she forgets her clutch and runs back to place it back on the tray and in the process barely manages not to slip with her high heels which make her walk with feet inwards and wavering legs – walking back to the lady police she drops her boarding pass and pulls down her t-shirt a number of times before she is ready to pick it up and walk again…….WHYYYYYYYYYYYYY? Stay Calm, Stay Simple. No?

The Time Passers:
I don’t know if this is because I am a cleanliness freak and just happen to notice it more than others but I have always been able to spot a person or two sitting near the boarding gate taking care of their nose boogers. Ewwwwww. And I keep thinking do they not find this dirty? Or they think others can’t see them? Or this their way of maintaining cleanliness ??


The Boarding Call:
As the time of boarding nears, people start forming a queue near the gate. The airline attendants keep announcing that they are still waiting for the flight to land, as the same flight will then fly back to destination - but deaf ear. The expression on people’s face is as if “I don’t know who you are, I don’t know what you say, my boarding card says boarding at 3:30 p.m. so I am going to board the plane 3:30 p.m.
"But sir the plane has not arrived yet"
"I don’t care , just get it"
"Sure sir, Till then you can remain seated"
"No, I will stand in queue"
Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy???????? Your seat number is already assigned, then why this kolaveri ????
Then the flight arrives and the attendant says “Passengers seated from 20 to 30 please come forward
And everyone barges almost to drown the attendant in the passenger pool.
Attendant: ‘Sir, your seat number is 9, kindly wait for your turn”
Passenger gives Blank expression and continues to stand at the same place. After lot of effort he will move an inch and in between keep trying to barge in.
It doesn’t matter whether you board first or last you will sit in seat no. 9 and the plane will not fly without you and you won't get better food if you go first and you have already paid the money for the seat so there is no winner -discount. then please explain to me why you want to run and board the plane?

The Thirsty Passengers:
There will always be few passengers who will put their bags in the over head carrier, settle down in their seat, roll up the sleeves and immediately press the calling button – because they come from Sahara desert – they are thirsty. They want water – right then.
Flight attendant- “Sir, kindly be patient, the passengers are settling down after which we will serve water."
Passenger: "I want water now. I will sue the airlines for not giving me water. Is this the customer service you provide? You think I am foolish?.".....

The Washroom Lovers:
While the attendant keeps screaming onto the mike “Please be seated, the seat belt sign is still on.” There go couple of passengers balancing themselves, holding onto the seats, smiling at the passengers whose head they hit while walking to the washroom.
10 minutes before this you were in the waiting area which had 5 washrooms and no restrictions and here it looks like you were holding it in your bladder and were waiting for this adventure trip where you can walk on an elevated plane to empty your bladder. Is your name Adam? Because you want to do what is forbidden.

The Hurried Landers:
As soon as the plane touches the ground and relaxes to find a parking spot , tuk tuk tuk cluck cluck you will hear the seat belt opening. The plane has not stopped and you see the passengers already starting to stand up and taking out luggage from the over head carrier. This time it is not the attendant – serious situation – pilot announces from the cockpit “Passengers please be seated because we have not received any indication from the control room for parking”………Passengers ignore him , as if to say “Dude your job was to fly this thingy , which you did and now your job is done, if you don’t find a spot to park, just open the door , I will jump down, and walk the rest of the way.”
I am always one of the last passengers to get off the plane and really it doesn’t matter because as my good luck serves me my luggage will be one of the last baggage on the belt. When I am almost sure the airlines have lost it there it comes limping on the belt – with one side or the other slightly torn.

The Phone Callers:
Hello…..Haan Main baith gaya plane mei. Haan Haan baith gaya. Haan window seat hai”
“Hello……Abhi plane udne wala hai. Haan abhi udega 5-10 minute mei. Fir utarke phone karta hoon”

“Yea now bye ok. Yea Yea only 45 minutes flight baby – then I will call you na, yea don’t worry I will be fine, Yea I have put cotton in ears , no-no in one ear , after keeping phone I will put in this ear also, yea ok baby byebye, rakho naaa, haan utarke phone karti hoon, rakho na baby, miss you”

“Hello….haan hello…..haan land kar gaya plane , abhi belt pe samaan leke 10-15 minute mei aata hoon bahaar. Kaunsi car leke aaye ho? Arre Honda city kahan hai? Mamaji ko kyun de diya wo car? Tum abhi kaunsi car leke aaye ho? Iska servicing karwa liya tha tumne? Kahan pe wait kar rahe ho? Achha aise to samajh nai aata baahar aake dekhta hoon.
All these passengers are “Don” – Inko chup karana mushkil hi nahi namumkin hai.

Nevertheless I like airport, I like aeroplane because they take me to my loved ones but the only time I don't like flying is when it takes me away from them.




2 comments:

  1. Lol.., naveneet its hillarious.. Everyone around me is wondering that whats wrong with this lady.. Why is she giggling so much!!! "People watching" right ;)������

    Loved the way u have quoted the instances ... Specially the boarding and the landing ones.. Its bang on!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe...Thanks....Glad you liked it. Keep "watching" :)

      Delete